Sunday, March 1, 2009

Time for a Break - Cincinnati's Union Terminal

I've been quite busy lately, first by taking the kids on a trip to Cincinnati to visit family & friends, second by spending my time catching from the trip, & lastly by proofing lots & lots of shots from my brother's engagement session I had while I was in town. Samples from that will be posted in hopefully another day or two, as I've had a few setbacks due to my aging computer.

In taking a break, I decided to go through a few of my own shots from the trip. Going to Union Terminal is always a highlight for me as the building is my favorite in the city. I spent quite a bit of time here digging in their archives for a research paper I wrote in college about WWII war bonds in Cincinnati. The building is currently known as the Museum Center where it houses a Children's museum, Cincinnat's Natural History Museum, an OmniMax theater, & special exhibits that come through the area.

The outside of the building is simply gorgeous. I've been told it was built to mimic the shape of a radio, & I think that's a pretty good comparison...
IMG_2461

And here are a few shots from the main entrance. Makes you feel like you've taken a step back in time...

IMG_2469

The enormous window on the front of the building, from inside:
IMG_2522

And a few of the murals that are up depicting the area's history, I captured 2 of them, but they extend back behind the main area as well:
IMG_2512

IMG_2514

No comments:

Post a Comment